- 1 Basic Information
- 2 Catchwords
- 3 Short Description of Functionality
- 4 Program(s) to run before this Program
- 5 Program(s) to run after this Program
- 6 Additional Information
Name of Program
classification of variables in cf-netcdf.nc data files
minimum, mean and maximum value as well as number of valid data
automatic adjustment of number of READ data to chunk size of data
optional use of Message Passing Interface (MPI, MPI Forum)
Acknowledgment: This project took advantage of netCDF software developed by UCAR/Unidata (www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/).
Short Description of Functionality
Program NCAUTO classifies and determines extreme and mean values for data stored in cf-netcdf.nc files:
- classification of (geophysical) variables based on dimension name as well as dependence on time (as defined in CF attribute cell_methods);
- minimum, mean and maximum value as well as number of valid data for all variables (all time steps);
- locations of minimum as well as maximum;
- time serie of minimum, mean and maximum values as well as number of valid data for all time-dependent variables.
For 2 and 3 the number of analysed variables can be (optionally) influenced through ASCII files include_only_variables.dat or exclude_variables.dat.
Just in case HDF error is detected during read of a data record, the program tries to reconstruct the wanted data set from adjacent (in time) records for the same variable. This type of repair works for time dependent variables only.
- UGRID CF NetCDF data set (file type CF-NETCDF.NC);
- (optional) list of variables to be included (file with fixed name include_only_variables.dat);
- (optional) list of variables to be excluded (file with fixed name exclude_variables.dat).
Only one of files 2 and 3 is allowed to be present in the working directory. Invalid variable names are ingored.
- classification of variables (file type all_class.<nc-inputfilename>.sdr)
- (optional) file with minimum, mean and maximum value for all variables (file type all_stats.<nc-inputfilename>.sdr)
- (optional) file with time serie of minimum, mean and maximum values as well as number of valid data for each variable (and fraction) of a file (file type var_stats.<nc-inputfilename>.<fraction-name>.sdr)
- informative printer file of program execution (file type ncauto.sdr) with some useful informations about minimum, maximum, mean as well as locations of minimum and maximum.
- trace of program execution (file type ncauto.trc)
All variables contained in a file are read (time step by time step). Minimum, mean and maximum values as well as number of valid data are determined. Furthermore a classification for all geophysical variables is performed based on dimension names as well as their dependence on the time coordinate.
Program(s) to run before this Program
Program(s) to run after this Program
template files available in $PROGHOME/examples/ncauto
back to Program Descriptions