- 1 Basic Information
- 2 Catchwords
- 3 Short Description of Functionality
- 4 Program(s) to run before this Program
- 5 Program(s) to run after this Program
- 6 Additional Information
Name of Program
V4.x / January 1999
Short Description of Functionality
The program TR2REFRESH serves as a preprocessor for the numerical models TRIM-2D and TRIM-3D. TR2REFRESH is able to modify bathymetry of a TRIM computational grid according to depth information stored on a finite element grid or along structural lines. The area where bathymetry shall be modified can be restricted to an area inside or outside an arbitrary polygon.
The actual nodal depth can be modified in the following different ways by means of different modification options::
- uncoditional deepening/refillment: at all modification nodes the actual depth is modified with the modification value
- unconditioanl setting of the depth: at all modification nodes the actual depth is set to the modification value
- conditional deepening: at all modification nodes where the actual depth is smaller than the modification value the depth will be set to the modification value. Areas which are already deeper than the depth given by the modification value remain unchanged
- conditional refillment: at all modification nodes where the actual depth is larger than the modification value the depth will be set to the modification value. Areas which are shallower than the depth given by the modification value remain unchanged.
The modification value follows from the actual location of a node within the grid (depths of the grid defining real bathymetry or the a so called dredger bathymetry).
- general input data (filetype tr2refresh.dat).
- (optional) surrounding polygon (filetype poly.dat).
- (optional) protected nodes (filetype nodes.save).
- computational grid and asis bathymetry (filetype tr2.topo.bin)
- (optional) bathymetry/dredger-bathymetry of the model area which shall be modified (filetype gitter05.dat/bin).
- modified bathymetry (filetype tr2.topo.bin).
- printer file (filetype tr2refresh.sdr).
- (optional) trace of program execution (filetype tr2refresh.trc).
For all nodes of a TRIM computational grid which are lying in the area defined by a surrounding polygon new depth values are calculated first for the so called ZETA-locations of the grid cells from the the values defined by the bathymetry/dredger-bathymetry. From these results the values are interpolated onto the locations of the U- and V-nodes by means of one of the following approaches:
- Depths at U- and V-points are mean values of the corresponding ZETA-points. Therefore the depths are approximated in the best possible way and the speed of the tidal wave can be calculated correctly. On the other hand side the volume of the system under investigation may be overestimated systematically.
- Depths at U- and V-points are minimum values of the corresponding ZETA-points. This guarantees the best approximation of the volume, but depths at U- and V-points are underestimated systematically. Therefore computed wave speed may be also underestimated.
Furthermore depths at selected U- and/or V-positions (computational points of a TRIM-grid) may be optionally modified using one of the following methods:
- mapping of depths along so called protection polygons (given in a file of type nodes.save) by means of interpolation;
- direct setting of the depth values if the nodal locations (also prescribed in a file of type nodes.save) are identical with the locations of the U- and V- computational points.
These methods are activated if a file of type nodes.save has been prescribed in the input data file.
Program(s) to run before this Program
Program(s) to run after this Program
back to Program Descriptions