- 1 Basic Information
- 2 Catchwords
- 3 Short Description of Functionality
- 4 Program(s) to run before this Program
- 5 Program(s) to run after this Program
- 6 Additional Information
Name of Program
conversion of a finite element grid
equivalent finite difference grid
numerical model TRIM-2D
numerical model TRIM-3D
Short Description of Functionality
The program TC2TR2 is a preprocessor for the numerical models TRIM-2D and TRIM-3D. This program serves to convert the bathymetry given in the data format of the finite element method TICAD-2S into an equivalent one defined in the format of the finite difference methods TRIM-2D, as well as TRIM-3D.
- control parameters and general input data (file type tc2tr2.dat)
- finite element topography (file type gitter05.dat/bin)
- (optional) surrounding polygon (file type poly.dat)
- (optional) file with polygon traces to set depth values explicitly along these traces (file type nodes.save)
- equivalent TRIM grid and topography (filetype tr2.topo.bin)
- informative printer file (file type tc2tr2.sdr)
- (optional) trace of program execution (file type tc2tr2.trc)
- Reading input topography in TICAD-2S-format.
- Optional : Reading the boundary polygon which surrounds the area to be converted.
- Generating an element table which describes the area to be converted.
- Calculating the bathymetrical depth at the nodes U, V, Z and O of the TRIM grid by appropriate interpolation of depth at the nodes of the FE-grid:
- Depths at U- and V-points are mean values of the corresponding ZETA-points. Therefore the depths are approximated in the best possible way and the speed of the tidal wave can be calculated correctly. On the other hand side the volume of the system under investigation may be overestimated systematically.
- Depths at U- and V-points are minimum values of the corresponding ZETA-points. This guarantees the best approximation of the volume, but depths at U- and V-points are underestimated systematically. Therefore computed wave speed may be also underestimated.
- Modification of depth to fulfill the TRIM convention.
- Optional : Consideration of structures (e.g. dams, groynes, etc.).
- Automatic Determination of isolated grid cells (cells without connexions to neighbour grid cells).
- Expanding the grid at the outer boundaries to fulfill the following conditions :
- Computational domain is surrounded at least by two additional rows of grid cells;
- even number of grid cells in both spatial directions.
- Model topography is written in TRIM-format to an ASCII- or binary file.
Program(s) to run before this Program
Program(s) to run after this Program
back to Program Descriptions